"Train up your child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it."-Proverbs 22.6
We recently purchased a small book that I highly recommend...The Duties of Parents by J.C. Ryle. It is very short and packed with truth that will encourage and instruct any parent, or person hoping to have children someday and raise them in a way that honors God. I've actually only read the first 10 pages and already my eyes have been opened to the seriousness of the high calling of being a parent. As I was reading, I was reminded that the most important need our son Matthan has is to know and love the Lord as his Savior. The way that we love, lead, instruct, and discipline him will have a significant impact on whether or not this happens one day.
J.C Ryle states: " I know that you cannot convert your child. I know well that they who are born again are born, not of the will of man, but of God. But I know also that God says expressly, "Train up a child in the way he should go," and that He never laid a command on man which He would not give man grace to perform. And I know, too, that our duty is not to stand still and dispute, but to go forward and obey. It is just in the going forward that God will meet us. The path of obedience is the way in which He gives the blessing. We have only to do as the servants were commanded at the marriage feast in Cana, to fill the water-pots with water, and we may safely leave it to the Lord to turn that water into wine." p.7
What faith is required in simply obeying this command! We have no assurance of the salvation of our children, we can only be sure that God remains faithful and His grace is sufficient for all our needs. It is a tremendous privilege to be Matthan's mother, however daily I feel completely inadequate to carry out the tasks set before me. However, it is in those moments that my dependence upon the Lord is made clear to me and I find comfort in knowing I can call upon Him for help.
One last quote by Mr. Ryle, "He that has trained his children for heaven, rather than for earth, for God, rather than man- he is the parent that will be called wise at last."
Grateful for His Amazing Grace.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I especially love the last quote! It's a good reminder :) Thanks for passing it on.
Post a Comment