Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Be still.

Lately I have been more aware of my need for the Lord's help in~well, pretty much all that I do! I can quickly become anxious and overwhelmed over all of the things in life that are uncertain. I hear about friends who have sick children, read about tragedies only miles away, pray for those grieving the loss of someone they love, or I face another day with minimal sleep and lacking joy. Automatically I look within myself to find the strength or understanding to make sense of what each day brings. Only looking within myself only leaves me feeling more helpless and discouraged. It's only when I shift my focus off of myself, my circumstances or that of others, that I can really experience peace.

This morning I was rocking Matthan back to sleep (or so I thought), and I looked up on his wall. Above his crib is a sign with a verse that when I was pregnant I just knew would minister to me often as I entered into this season of motherhood. Its funny though, I have found that when I hang something on the wall, it doesn't take long to not even notice it anymore. It just becomes part of the wall. Only this verse seems to somehow become more visible at just the right times when I need to be reminded of what is most important. Its a simple verse but packed with important truth about God. "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). Being still requires faith, I have to trust that I can be still because God is in complete control. My being anxious or overwhelmed won't change the situation, it only causes me to walk through it missing the good that God intends for me. So, as I begin a new day I will seek to trust Him, not because I have to, but because I want to- trusting Him makes everything much better. He is faithful and I can trust Him and Be Still.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bran...you have done a wonderful job as a mom up till now and i know you and i know you will continue to do great. Try not to feel anxious and go by your gut feelings better known as instincts. You have more love and joy to give back to people and you have always worked magic with children...all children from normal to challenged. Sorry for using the word normal but I didnt at the moment think of something else. They are all wonderful gifts of God and I know for myself I have never been give two more gracious and wonderful gifts from God than you and your brother and now I can add to than your great, funny, handsome hubby and my wonderful grandson...Matthan Blue. Just keep doing what your doing and you will feel joy and you must remember you are not even 5 months out from major surgery and it takes a while to feel better from that so don't be quite so hard and RELAX. I love you more than you will ever know although I wouldl hopw by now that you do know.Kiss the guys in your life and give them a hug. love Mimi