Wednesday, March 9, 2011

matthan 2+

playing outside (notice dirt under his mouth! eating dirty ice- yum!)

So, Matthan turned 2 in December, and leading up to that I had assumed that monthly updates would end when the boys reached 2. However, now that he has reached that milestone, I still desire to do updates monthly- but hardly have the time while keeping up with these boys! So, I hope that every few months I'll be able to post some Matthan updates.

Since turning 2, Matthan has been busy as usual! Thankfully, he has stayed healthy despite lots of sickness around our house! It's so much fun to talk with Matthan these days. He really considers the things he hears, asks lots of questions, and really has conversations! He keeps us laughing and questioning where in the world he learned most of the things he says!


The other day he was playing ball with his grandmother "Nanny". He threw the ball to the desired location- and then cheered for himself saying "YES! I DID IT, YES! AWESOME!" I looked at his grandmother, and we both said "awesome?" I am certain that is not a word he has heard anyone in our family saying, so who knows where he learned it! He likes to point out that "Baby is making a mess!" He will see something and quietly say " Oh my goodness". He frequently calls for mommy, mama, mom? If I start to go somewhere he says, "Go with me mommy" as he pats his chest. Interpretation~ mommy can I go with you? While eating in the morning he will say "mommy feed you" (mommy will you feed me) or "matthan feed you" (I'll feed myself) :O)


He can also be overheard instructing his cars that there will be "no crashing and hitting" followed by "did you hear me? listen and obey" and then..."do you need a spankin?" quite the disciplinarian! :o)


Other things Matthan says:

"What else mommy/daddy what else?" (He often says this when we are telling him a story)
He calls racoon's "racones" (so funny!)
"Come on mommy/daddy, come on". (when he wants us to go somewhere or do something)
He often asks "Matthan do it?" or "Is that Matthan's"
"Whats that sound mommy?" side note: matthan is very particular about sounds of things. He does NOT enjoy books, toy cars, stuffed animals etc that make noises.
"Dance Mommy! Dance Daddy! Dance Baby!" (He LOVES to dance when he hears music and insists we join him.)
When he says "box" or "locks" he sounds like he has an Australian accent!


When speaking of his "Pappy" he'll say: Pappy's in Tennessee. Tennessee's far away, Pappy's far away too. I get him mommy, I find him". :O)


Lately he's been taking a more active role in praying in the evenings. It's such a blessing to hear him asking God to be with his little friends who he knows are sick, thanking God for his family and friends (each individually!), and thanking God for Jesus.

He has an incredible memory. We can read a book to him one time and the next time we read it he is able to finish our sentences. This is something we are hoping to take full advantage of soon, as we start working at home with some preschool materials.


He still loves to play with his brother, not always in the most gentle manner, but play nonetheless. He LOVES playing with his cars and even sleeps with a couple! Lightning McQueen is his all-time favorite currently! He also loves trucks and all animals! Outside play is a highlight for him especially going down the slide & visiting the farm. As you can tell from the pictures of the few warm days we had this past month- he loves being outside getting dirty. I realized at somepoint in all of it I was repeatedly saying to myself "let them be boys, its just dirt". :O) Of all the things he loves to do the most, I'd say going to the farm is the highlight. He is so excited to see Mimi, Nanny & Granddaddy, Ma & Bill and of course all the animals. I think he was born to be a farmer as his love of animals is quite remarkable and he is quite the early riser! One of his favorite videos these days is an old video of Mark's when he was a child. Its a Fisher Price "On the Farm" video. Matthan loves it and wants to watch it over and over again!

the typical scene while playing together!

We had to convert Matthan's crib into a toddler bed a couple months ago due to his repeatedly jumping out of his crib. This didn't go very smooth in the beginning. We had to put a gate at the door to keep him IN his room, however we soon found we needed 2 gates to keep him in! After two days of this, he had climbed to the top of the 2nd gate-resulting in our removing the 2nd gate for safety reasons. He has since grown to really enjoy his big-boy room and bed- however he won't sleep in the bed. He sleeps on the floor (on a pillow). We are considering a few options with this, as it has caused him to wake frequently during the night. He seems to enjoy playing in his room in the early mornings all by himself. It's fun to listen to him talking to all his cars/trucks.

Other random things about Matthan:

He enjoys quizzing us on colors and names of things or just random facts and then of course correcting us when we are wrong! He runs through the house with this little pillow stating that he's a superhero. We have no clue where he got that from seeing as though he's never watching anything with a superhero in it! He acts like a steamroller when he plays with Asher (this drives us and Asher a little crazy)One sign Matthan is getting tired is that he will start to talk in his own language. He talks very fast and its complete nonsense. :O) He loves to sing Rise & Shine and give God the Glory, Holy, Holy, Holy, and We've got lots in common (from charlotte's web).

When we are riding in the car he seems to think when a car passes us we are "racing". He says "they are going fast mommy, are they racing?" He yells out when he sees a big "Mack-truck", school buses and other fun cars.

When we tell someone his name, I will say "this is Matthan", and he will say "Matthan Blue!" :O)

Recently he had not been acting appropriately so I took his two favorite cars away from him for a little while. At some point a few minutes later he said "Mommy, I want to thank you so much". He reached to give me a hug and said "I love you Mommy....lightening?" He had a grin on his face, he was saying "lightening" as he was requesting (manipulating mommy!)
to have the cars back!


Matthan remains incredibly affectionate and caring. When we tell him we love him he will sweetly say "I love you mommy/daddy. I love you so much". When he does something he shouldn't he'll say "sorry mommy sorry". We continue to enjoy him very much and are looking forward to warmer weather so this big boy can get outside and run off some of his energy!! :O)

We love you Matthan Blue.

No comments: