November 25, 2008 -Mark and I were filled with excitement and nervous anticipation as we spent what we thought was our last full day as just the two of us. We had our bags packed, and the plan was for me to call the hospital in the evening for them to tell me when to arrive to begin the induction process. We had a light dinner with my parents, and then began making calls to the hospital. We repeatedly were told they were too busy at the moment, we'd have to call back.
Just so you know, I'm writing all this out mostly for my own benefit, as I did not document our birth experience on our blog last year. So...I thought I'd share the details, as we remember them, of the days leading up to our baby boy's birth!
So, we finally got the OK to go to the hospital around 9pm. It was a surreal experience. We went in, they checked us in, and I remember we said to one another- when we leave the hospital we will have our baby boy with us!!! We were beyond excited. Now, leading up to this point I'd been on modified bed rest for two months, due to high blood pressure, significant swelling and a concern of possible pre-eclampsia. The induction process began that night- and became more aggressive the next day. Every 6 hours or so they would give me more medicine. As we looked on the monitors- it was clear I was having contractions, but I really wasn't too uncomfortable. By the end of that first night I was dilated to maybe 1.5 cm. The process continued through the next day and night- and by that evening I had only progressed to 2.5 cm. I was certainly feeling a bit weary! They encouraged me to rest so that when and if things did "really get started" I'd have the strength to get through the labor.
The next day things continued to stay the same, and the doctor began talking about us possibly going home. Mark and I were shocked- "Go home? After all this, two days of no food, contractions, and without our baby being born?" We had no idea this was a possibility. After seeking the input of others and tearfully considering what the best plan was- we decided to go home later that day. It had been 42 hours since we'd been admitted and I'd dilated to 3 cm. I remember I cried many tears- we even thought- "are we even having a baby...what is going on?"
As they wheeled me to the car, I remember thinking of the mothers who leave the hospital without their baby because their baby is sick, or possibly has died. I was so sad to think of how they must have felt in this moment. I was a total wreck, and I still had a healthy baby growing inside of me. I had much to be grateful for, despite my tears.
The next couple days were filled with attempts to rest, and continued contractions and leaking of "water". The plan was Monday Dec. 1- go to the hospital for a sonogram to check on the baby. SO------this story will continue on December 1!!!
Stay tuned...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oh Bran I was getting so excited to go through it again and then it ended. I was even there but it is great to be reading it again. I'll tune in Dec. 1. Love to all. Mimi
Post a Comment