Thursday, November 13, 2008

Baby Boy presents a challenge

This week we had our usual two appointments...Wednesday was an appointment where they make sure I'm doing ok and there were no concerns so we continue as we have been. Today, we went to our high risk doctor appointment to check out Matthan. Well, it turns out- he continues to grow- no big surprise...although- at quite a rapid rate. He is estimated to currently weigh 8 lbs 14 oz. They admit that they could be off on the weight plus or minus a pound and a quarter.

The doctors continue to express concerns about the induction date of Nov 25. He stated that we have a few dilemma's...

1- Due to my already having occasional contractions he is doubtful I'll make it to Nov 25 which means I'll likely go into labor on my own before then. If that happens, I cannot have an epidural and if a C -section is necessary I'd have to be put to sleep- plus the risk of trouble with bleeding due to my medicine.

2- We could make it to Nov 25 but its highly unlikely I will be able to have a normal delivery as we desire- and due to his size its probable a C-section would be needed.

3- There is an option of inducing earlier that Nov 25.. BUT they are concerned Matthan's lungs may not be fully developed yet and with that being unknown its not likely they would induce earlier. However, the doctor did make a recommendation that we get an amniocentesis which allows them to see whether or not his lungs are developed. If they are developed then they would proceed with induction a day or two after. (next week) If his lungs aren't fully developed then they would decide when it would be safe to induce. And an amniocentesis doesn't come without risks....

SO- needless to say we have lots to consider and little time to do so...tomorrow we will speak with my regular OB and decide on a plan.

Thankfully as we can be tempted to be overwhelmed with all the scenarios, we find comfort in knowing that God remains in control, He is good, wise and loving. He knows when and how Matthan will enter this world and He has not forgotten or overlooked one detail.

So, we wait and we seek to trust God to lead us in making the necessary decisions for our little one.

3 comments:

Peter Bang said...

we prayed for you at men's mtg. last night.

Will and Alycia Irish said...

Praying for you guys, Brandy! Glad I found your blog. =)

Anonymous said...

I'll pray God gives you guys clarity on which route to take! Either way God has it all worked out to perfection!