Today we had an allergist appointment. Asher was retested for a couple of items, as well as some new ones so that we can begin giving this little guy some solids. Below are the details:
The first time he was tested (in May) here were the results:
Egg- Very Allergic
Milk- questionable
Soy-slight reaction
Peanuts/Tree nuts/Almond-Allergic
Wheat- not allergic
After that testing I eliminated Egg and Nuts, but Asher continued to have many reactions so we stopped dairy- even though the testing didn't show it was necessary-and he improved greatly!
Today he was retested for Milk & Soy.
Milk- Very Allergic
Soy- Slight reaction (doesn't warrant my removing it from my diet- but Asher should not be given soy milk)
Other items tested today:
Apples, Oranges, Peaches, Bananas, Shrimp (because I just had this and we wondered if he was allergic) All of these he is NOT allergic to. So, we are going to go ahead with starting some fruits and vegetables and possibly some cereal as long as its mixed with the breast milk or formula that we know is safe for him. As for vegetables, we will just introduce them slowly.
The doctor said due to Asher's atopic dermatitis he is at high risk for developing respiratory allergies (asthma, seasonal allergies, coughing, sneezing, etc) when he gets a little older. He is also likely to be allergic to other foods- even those that he currently tests negative. He will need to continue to be tested and watched closely as new foods are introduced. He said its not likely to be the first time a person has the allergic food that they have reactions- often its subsequent exposure to the item. It's also possible he'll outgrow some of these allergies. (we pray this will happen!)
We are eager to get this little guy some food- hopeful it will help him feel more full and sleep better.
1 comment:
Bran I will keep praying for "Roo" that he does not develop any respiratory problems in the future. These pictures are so darn cute. ROO and BLUE. Its just toooooo cute. Love the one where Roo is looking out the door. It reminds me of one similar of Blue doing the same thing. I also love the "scrunch nose picture. I still think Asher reminds me of "Bill". Not as much as he did at first though.He looks too young to be sitting up so proudly by himself. I am so grateful that you are so good with the computer that I can keep up with the boys progress, antics, etc. I love you Bran. Love Mom
Post a Comment